Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dreams

“What the hell do you want?” she said to me. It’s not exactly how I like to start my day. I was thinking I knew how she must feel when I speak coldly to her. She had been laying in my bed looking sickly and I rubbed her arm and maybe murmured some kind words. She, was my mother, and it was just a dream.

My remaining minutes in bed today were comprised of terse scenes and intermittent blackness. We don’t dream all night, just in between periods of R.E.M., about every 90 minutes, I think.

I dreamt I was standing out in the side yard of my house, looking up at a bright white half moon in the night sky. I asked my mom, “This is really happening, right?” It seemed too real to be a dream. She said no.

In another dream, I saw the Hungarian church across the street from my house. It had a blue and gold banner with an emblem on it that made it very recognizable. It was the emblem for PTK or something.

“You never set your alarm clock” Charlye told me in another dream. She said that the power must have gone out (at my house). I was thinking about how wise she is. I was thinking how I had just set it, but to my surprise, when I looked at the clock, four flashing green zeros showed. She was right.

I know why I dreamt some of the things I did. Last night, my mom was laying on the couch with a heating pad on her hands and her feet were soaking in a bucket of hot water. She has arthritis. I got a little frustrated by the third request she made, to turn off the light, but then when I saw her on the couch I felt bad. Some of the guilty feelings in my psyche were released in the dream along with the scenario of her sickliness and laying down. The dream about the alarm clock resembled the fact that the night before the power had gone out and I did have to reset my alarm clock.

Several months after having written an article about “Dream Analysis,” I’ve come to take on an opinion on the matter. I’ve always thought dreams are significant. I think our emotional and mental states reflect something higher about us, some sort of Nirvana. Our dreams are a reflection of that higher existence, a higher reality that is traceable in our emotions and psyche. Maybe they are somehow the doorway. Examining these states is absolutely imperative for “transcendence.”

What I’ve come to believe is that dreams are meaningful, but not through a clear-cut application of precision. Symbols, experiences and feelings are chopped into our dreams, sometimes with seemingly random application. However, it isn’t just the art of the mind or some means of self-expression. Some or entire parts of dreams may just be self-expression, but not all. I believe dreams are an expression of the physical (i.e. environmental factors), unconscious, and superconscious factors acting upon us.

Psychologists who believe in dream analysis consider physical and unconscious factors. Edgar Cayce was known as the “sleeping prophet” for his ability to self-induce an unconscious state and provide medical diagnoses for thousands over the years. Cayce believed in a third factor, the superconscious, which is an expression of the divine in our dreams.

No comments: