Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Born Yesterday

Early April, I stepped into Mt. SAC’s studio theater, also known as “the black box” on a photo assignment, catching a glimpse of actors rehearsing “Born Yesterday.” I stood behind the director, against the black wooden walls, of the intimate theater setting I had spent so many years at. A female and male actor were sitting on a bench, living a real moment of life. It was a moment of something beautiful, the mysticism and creation of a scene that is acting. My heart sank. I didn’t stay long for the rehearsal. I left, but even though I missed theatrical acting badly, I knew that things were happening perfectly according to plan. I was exactly where I was supposed to be.

April 17, I went to see “Born Yesterday,” at the Sophia B. Clarke theater, but even though I left my heart on that stage, I fully enjoyed myself in the audience. Arthur Santiago (who played Eddie Brock, a short 1940s gangster) walked out on stage with a smile, rosy cheecks, and black slicked back hair. Immediately, his smile drew me in, and his energy, walk and silent behaviors were impressive.

After the show, Ralph Eastman took me back stage to meet Casey Currie (who played Emma “Billie” Dawn), Arthur Santiago, Anthony Rutowicz (who played Jim Devery), Mike Johnson (who played Harry Brock) and Paul Flores (who played Paul Veral). It was interesting to see these actors behind stage because they seemed so different offstage, out of character, makeup and costume. Two of the actors, Flores and Santiago, I almost overlooked.

Getting to meet these actors in person was my chance to connect to the art on stage as well as the art of living, socializing. I perhaps came off as a bit too “star struck,” but I couldn’t help myself. I was so excited. I left on an extreme euphoric high. As I left the school, in the dark night hours, I drove past a gothic guy and his girlfriend who had been sitting by me in the audience. Seeing them, I felt touched by love, and it was overwhelming. I drove home.

I enjoyed seeing the show so much, that I decided to see it again, on closing night. I had criticized Mike Johnson’s performance in Act I of opening night, but he did so well on April 25, that he made me eat my words. Wow, he gave such a solid performance the whole night. His anger and nefarious tendencies were spot on, all night. That was real acting. I realized that Casey Currie still needed to bring more emotionality into her performance, particularly Billie’s crumbling relationship to Brock. But overall, I really enjoyed watching the show again. Even though I was in a hurry to get to a party, I didn’t have to face the disappointment of leaving the theater empty handed. The actors had to be out of the theater quickly because they were meeting with an “edjudicator” from the Kennedy Center American Theater Festival. The organization travels across the country critiquing the work of college actors for educational and competitive purposes.

It was a chance opportunity at a final greeting with Paul Flores, Anthony Rutowicz, and Mike Johnson. I was about to leave the Performing Arts Center, when best of all, I got to speak with Arthur Santiago about his preparation for becoming Eddie, the short gangster with an attitude.

Check out my interview with Mr. Santiago at: http://wendysworld.podomatic.com/

No comments: